Lapang dismisses apprehensions of split in Meghalaya Cong
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister D D
Lapang on Thursday dismissed apprehensions of a split in the state
Congress unit in the wake of 16 dissident MLAs pressing the
Central leadership to remove him from the post.
"The party would not suffer a split for the sake of
chair," Lapang, whose party has 28 MLAs in the 60-member
The ruling Congress-led alliance, sworn in last year
after the fall of the NCP-led government, enjoys the support
of 44 legislators including nine of UDP, two from Hill State
Peoples Democratic Party, one from Khyun Hynniewtrep National
Awakening Movement (KHNAM) and four Independents.
Rebel MLAs, who are camping in New Delhi to pressure
AICC leadership to remove Lapang and accommodate them in the
ministry, presented their demands before AICC president Sonia
Gandhi`s political secretary Ahmed Patel last night.
"A leader should not react to such dissidence. No one
is indispensable. The AICC is the best judge," Lapang said.
Asked if the AICC would encourage dissidence by
conceding to their demands, Lapang said, "It`s a valid
opinion, but the AICC knows what is best... Any member is free
to express their grievances."
The 16 legislators are demanding a change in
leadership in the state, besides accommodation of senior MLAs
in the ministry by dropping the independents and the lone MLA
from KHNAM. Only six Congress MLAs had found berths in Lapang
Asked about the strength of rebel MLAs, Lapang said,
"There is no need to analyse the majority now. The majority
will come into play only when the AICC feels there is the need
for an election to select the legislature party leader".
The AICC has summoned Pradesh Congress chief Friday
Lyngdoh and working president Deborah Marak to discuss the
situation arising out of the revolt.
With pressure mounting on Lapang, sources indicated
that a cabinet reshuffle is on the cards.
The AICC is likely to send a special observer to the
state next week to tackle the dissidence, party sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued