Largest tourism festival of Manipur beginning tomorrow
Imphal: The ten-day `Sangai Festival`, the largest tourism festival of Manipur showcasing its cultural heritage, eco-adventure activities, indigenous food and handicraft will begin here from tomorrow.
The highlights of the festival would be the performances by cultural troupe from Thailand and Myanmar, the largest exhibition of handloom and handicrafts, indigenous sports of Manipur, indigenous cuisines of the state and 7th Manipur Polo International 2013 at Hapta Kangjeibung here.
Elaborate security arrangements have been made for the festival where foreign delegates, Union ministers and VIPs and representatives from NGOs would be present, a senior police official said today.
Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) L Kailun told reporters that police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in front of important government buildings and Hapta Kangjeibung here, where the main function of the festival would be celebrated.
The forces were patrolling various parts of the state capital complex to detect movement of militants in view of the recent bomb explosions here by the ultras, he said.
Delegates from Thailand would visit the festival named after brow-antlered deer (Sangai), the only species available in Manipur.
Myanmar-based `Golden Myanma` Airlines with two Chief Ministers of Sagang and Mandalay regions of Myanmar along with over 200 delegates would arrive at Imphal Tulihal international airport.
The Myanmar-based airlines would be the first to land at Imphal airport after it became an international airport.
Following a letter from the state government to the Union aviation ministry, landing fee would not be charged from the `Golden Myanma` airlines at Imphal airport.
The delegates from Myanmar would arrive here tomorrow and return to Mandalay on November 24 next, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble