Last rites of Dorjee Khandu at Gyangkhar village in Tawang district
Itanagar: The last rites of Arunchal Pradesh
Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu will be performed in his native
village, Gyangkhar, in Tawang district as per Monpa Buddhist
According to traditional practice, lamas usually
prescribe the procedures for the last rites on the basis of
good or bad deeds of a deceased, a close aide of Khandu and
Sahitya Akademi awardee Yeshi Dorjee Thongchi, said.
"The late chief minister was against the Monpa practice
of throwing a body into the river as he was a great advocate
of clean and green environment," Thongchi said.
A final decision, however, would be taken by the family
members after consultation with Buddhist lamas, he said.
"The lamas will study scriptures before announcing the
rituals and time, date and day for the last rites," Thongchi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand