Last rites of Dorjee Khandu at Gyangkhar village in Tawang district
Itanagar: The last rites of Arunchal Pradesh
Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu will be performed in his native
village, Gyangkhar, in Tawang district as per Monpa Buddhist
According to traditional practice, lamas usually
prescribe the procedures for the last rites on the basis of
good or bad deeds of a deceased, a close aide of Khandu and
Sahitya Akademi awardee Yeshi Dorjee Thongchi, said.
"The late chief minister was against the Monpa practice
of throwing a body into the river as he was a great advocate
of clean and green environment," Thongchi said.
A final decision, however, would be taken by the family
members after consultation with Buddhist lamas, he said.
"The lamas will study scriptures before announcing the
rituals and time, date and day for the last rites," Thongchi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss