Last rites of Dorjee Khandu at Gyangkhar village in Tawang district
Itanagar: The last rites of Arunchal Pradesh
Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu will be performed in his native
village, Gyangkhar, in Tawang district as per Monpa Buddhist
According to traditional practice, lamas usually
prescribe the procedures for the last rites on the basis of
good or bad deeds of a deceased, a close aide of Khandu and
Sahitya Akademi awardee Yeshi Dorjee Thongchi, said.
"The late chief minister was against the Monpa practice
of throwing a body into the river as he was a great advocate
of clean and green environment," Thongchi said.
A final decision, however, would be taken by the family
members after consultation with Buddhist lamas, he said.
"The lamas will study scriptures before announcing the
rituals and time, date and day for the last rites," Thongchi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narendra Modi in Iran: PM invokes India's 'civilisational ties', aims to boost economic, cultural partnership
- IPL 2016, Match 56: Virat Kohli's RCB earn playoffs spot, to face Gujarat Lions in Qualifier 1
- Jorge Lorenzo pips Marc Marquez to Italian MotoGP win
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg celebrates his wedding anniversary in a 'musical' way! - See pic
- Mann ki Baat: PM Modi calls for country to move towards 'cashless society'