Law panel moots bill to prevent defection at Mizo local bodies
Aizawl: The Mizoram local authorities (prohibition of defection) bill, 2010 will be enacted before the elections of the first Aizawl Municipal Council, expected
to be held by August this year, as decided at a meeting of the Mizoram state law commission.
The State Law Commission, headed by its Chairman R Lalrinawma decided at yesterday`s meeting to enact the legislation as the anti-defection law under the tenth schedule of the constitution is applicable only to the members of Parliament and state legislature and not local bodies, official sources said.
While representatives of the autonomous district
councils in the state - Mara, Lai and Chakma - agreed in
principle to the proposed legislation, their appeal for more
time to study the draft bill was accepted by the commission.
The commission also deliberated on the formation
of state minority commission and the representatives of the
autonomous district councils were given time to study the
The commission passed the proposal to review Mizo
Customary Law, not an act, and include judgements of different
courts in the draft customary law to be placed before the
state assembly for adoption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!