Law panel moots bill to prevent defection at Mizo local bodies
Aizawl: The Mizoram local authorities (prohibition of defection) bill, 2010 will be enacted before the elections of the first Aizawl Municipal Council, expected
to be held by August this year, as decided at a meeting of the Mizoram state law commission.
The State Law Commission, headed by its Chairman R Lalrinawma decided at yesterday`s meeting to enact the legislation as the anti-defection law under the tenth schedule of the constitution is applicable only to the members of Parliament and state legislature and not local bodies, official sources said.
While representatives of the autonomous district
councils in the state - Mara, Lai and Chakma - agreed in
principle to the proposed legislation, their appeal for more
time to study the draft bill was accepted by the commission.
The commission also deliberated on the formation
of state minority commission and the representatives of the
autonomous district councils were given time to study the
The commission passed the proposal to review Mizo
Customary Law, not an act, and include judgements of different
courts in the draft customary law to be placed before the
state assembly for adoption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown