Left-backed shutdown cripples life in Tripura
Agartala: Shops, offices and educational institutions were shut while vehicular traffic remained off the roads in Tripura on Monday as the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-led Left Front called a 12-hour shutdown to protest last week`s fuel-price hike.
"The strike was total, spontaneous and successful with people expressing their anger against the Central government`s decision to increase prices of diesel, kerosene and cooking gas," Left Front spokesman and senior CPI-M leader Gautam Das said.
"We urge the people to be ready for a bigger struggle against the anti-people decisions of the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government," he added.
Rail services between Tripura and the rest of the country were disrupted while bus services between Tripura and Bangladesh and other northeastern states were also hit. However, air services on the Agartala-Kolkata and Agartala-Guwahati routes were normal.
"The 12-hour shut down remained peaceful. No untoward incident was reported from anywhere in the state," a police spokesman said.
The India-Bangladesh trade was also hit as "hundreds of trucks were stranded on the other side of the Akhaurah checkpost near here due to the shutdown", a customs official said.
"At a time when people across the country are burdened with increasing prices of essential goods and inflation has remained unchecked, the UPA government has increased fuel prices to further deepen people`s misery," Das said.
Several educational institutions, including the Tripura (Central) University, postponed their examinations in view of the strike.
The Central government Friday increased the price of diesel by Rs 3 per litre, kerosene by Rs 2 a litre and cooking gas by Rs 50 per cylinder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27