Left Front declares sops to Muslims ahead of polls
Agartala: In sops to Muslims ahead of assembly elections in February next year, the Left Front government in Tripura has announced special packages for some villages which have a minority population of over 20 per cent.
Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said the meeting of the Council of Ministers held here yesterday decided to bring 151 villages having a Muslim population of over 20 per cent under special packages for all-round development.
He said infrastructure like roads, markets facilities, drinking water and irrigation would be made available.
"Youths from the minority group will be given stalls in new markets and children will be given facilities for education," he said.
According to the 2001 census, Muslims account for eight per cent of the 37 lakh population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16