Left Front declares sops to Muslims ahead of polls
Agartala: In sops to Muslims ahead of assembly elections in February next year, the Left Front government in Tripura has announced special packages for some villages which have a minority population of over 20 per cent.
Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said the meeting of the Council of Ministers held here yesterday decided to bring 151 villages having a Muslim population of over 20 per cent under special packages for all-round development.
He said infrastructure like roads, markets facilities, drinking water and irrigation would be made available.
"Youths from the minority group will be given stalls in new markets and children will be given facilities for education," he said.
According to the 2001 census, Muslims account for eight per cent of the 37 lakh population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!