Left may participate in secular govt in Assam: Tripura CM
Guwahati: Predicting a hung assembly in
Assam, Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar on Tuesday did not rule
out participation of the Left Front in a secular government
with like-minded parties.
Talking to reporters here on CPI-M`s role in
government formation in Assam, Sarkar said, "No party here can
form the government on its own. There has to be post-poll
realignment. So after a working agreement with like-minded
parties on burning issues, we can form a secular government
The first of the two-phase assembly elections in the
state was held yesterday while the concluding phase will be
held on April 11.
On the prospects of CPI-M`s victory in the state,
Sarkar said, "We are hoping for the best as we are fighting
against rising corruption, price and unemployment here. The
BJP is trying to divide the society and the rest of the
parties performance will be known after the poll results are
Referring to the new system introduced by the Election
Commission to provide voter slips instead of the political
parties, he called for state funding of electioneering
material such as posters, banners, etc., to stop corruption.
Sarkar said he was hopeful of the prospects of the
Left Front in poll-bound Kerala and West Bengal.
"In Kerala we are hopeful of victory as the Left has
played a pivotal role in development of that state. People are
responding to what the CPI-M has done for their welfare,"
Sarkar, who is here to campaign for his party candidates for
the second phase of elections, said.
"If the people want the good work to continue and
reverse the negative role of the earlier Congress-led
government then they should consolidate the hands of the
Front," Sarkar said.
"Our Politburo members are very confident. Prakash
Karat is speaking very positively about the Front`s victory
there," he said.
To queries about the Left Front`s victory in West
Bengal where it is facing a stiff challenge from the Trinamool
Congress, the CPI-M leader said, "They are trying their best
to win as they have been working for the welfare of the common
"The Left will be able to overcome all odds facing the
people, particularly of the minority community. We will do
introspection of our previous failures."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical