Left, Trinamool name candidates in Tripura
Agartala: The ruling Left Front and the Trinamool Congress Thursday announced their candidates for the two Lok Sabha seats in Tripura.
Forest, Industries and Rural Development Minister Jitenda Choudhury and trade union leader Shankar Prasad Datta, both new faces, would contest the election for the Left.
"Choudhury will contest from East Tripura and Datta from West Tripura," Tripura Left Front convenor Khagen Das told the media.
Das, who has represented West Tripura in the Lok Sabha since 2002, and Bajuban Reang, also from the Left, are not contesting this time due to poor health.
Das, a Communist Party of India-Marxist leader, said: "Our candidates are young and dynamic... They will serve the state well in the Lok Sabha."
The Trinamool Congress said former Congress minister Ratan Chakraborty had been nominated for the West Tripura seat and Bhriguram Reang, a tribal leader, in East Tripura.
Trinamool`s Tripura unit president Surajit Dutta said party leaders from West Bengal, which the party rules, will campaign in Tripura.
West Tripura constituency will see polling April 7 and East Tripura April 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?