Left, Trinamool name candidates in Tripura
Agartala: The ruling Left Front and the Trinamool Congress Thursday announced their candidates for the two Lok Sabha seats in Tripura.
Forest, Industries and Rural Development Minister Jitenda Choudhury and trade union leader Shankar Prasad Datta, both new faces, would contest the election for the Left.
"Choudhury will contest from East Tripura and Datta from West Tripura," Tripura Left Front convenor Khagen Das told the media.
Das, who has represented West Tripura in the Lok Sabha since 2002, and Bajuban Reang, also from the Left, are not contesting this time due to poor health.
Das, a Communist Party of India-Marxist leader, said: "Our candidates are young and dynamic... They will serve the state well in the Lok Sabha."
The Trinamool Congress said former Congress minister Ratan Chakraborty had been nominated for the West Tripura seat and Bhriguram Reang, a tribal leader, in East Tripura.
Trinamool`s Tripura unit president Surajit Dutta said party leaders from West Bengal, which the party rules, will campaign in Tripura.
West Tripura constituency will see polling April 7 and East Tripura April 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations