Life in Arunachal Pradesh hit by petroleum workers boycott
Itanagar: Some districts of Arunachal Pradesh and Itanagar are hit by the boycott of Assam Arunachal Petroleum Workers Association due to crisis of petroleum products for the past few days.
AAPWA has stopped unloading of petroleum items at Doimukh IOC depot near here since December 21 to protest the demand for Rs 3 lakh by miscreants from the driver of a tanker, which they held captive at Ziro, district authorities said.
The AAPWA has also expressed concern over the safety of tanker drivers in Arunachal and over alleged harassment at check gates with regard to innerline permits.
"The unprecedented boycott was carried out without prior notice to the concerned authorities," Food and Civil Supplies (FCS) director CN Longphai said today.
"The Papum Pare district FCS Department and the Capital Complex administration began rationing petroleum products items so that requirements of all citizens can be met from the existing stock till the resumption of normal supply," he said.
The department had issued order for daily supply of fuel to various categories of vehicle, official sources said.
Expressing concern over the situation, BJP demanded immediate restoration of the supply system and urged the state government to take initiative at the earliest.
It claimed that thousands are stranded in traffic jams in Itanagar.
Bus services by Arunachal Pradesh State Transport have been disrupted in the past two days due to non-availability of high speed diesel in Itanagar.
However, a few long distance buses are plying, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?