Litterateurs condemn "paid news" concept
Guwahati: Eminent litterateurs of Assam have condemned the system of "paid news" in journalism and said such a concept will erode the value associated with the fourth estate.
Participating in a seminar on "Paid News", organised
by Assam Union of Working Journalists (AUWJ), Assam Tribune
Employees Union (ATEU) and Journalist Union of Assam (JUA) on
the occasion of National Press Day today, they said the new
concept had adversely affected the authenticity of news
circulated by the print media in particular.
"There are instances of media stories being
manipulated and planted mostly at the instance of the
proprietor of the houses who are either big businessmen or
political leaders", Lakhinandan Bora, former president of the
Asom Sahitya Sabha, the apex literary body of the state, and
editor of weekly "Goriyasi".
"In the electronic media the opinion of the
journalists are given prominence rather than the main news
content while the print media most of the stories are
concocted," he said.
Eminent journalist and litterateur Radhika Mohan
Bhagawati also criticised this latest trend in journalism and
urged mediapersons to publish authentic and unbiased news.
Later a federation of the media bodies was formed
which also included the Employees Union of PTI workers,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount
- Shah Rukh Khan just apologised to 'Dil Se' co-star Preity Zinta! Here's why
- Naming of new RBI chief shows Modi government regains composure after Rajan shock
- JNU PhD student drugged, raped by AISA activist in hostel room? Know details of complaint