Lokayukta in process of being set up in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul
Sangma on Tuesday said the office of the Lokayukta was in the
process of being set up in the state after the opposition NCP
slammed the ruling Congress for its failure to do so.
"A vigilance cell under the political department
headed by the chief secretary as its chief vigilance
commissioner has been created to look into allegations of
corruption," the chief minister said.
Speaker Charles Pyngrope said "I spoke through the
office of the Chief Justice of the Gauhati High Court to
The Speaker called on the Leader of the Opposition
Conrad K Sangma and the chief minister to follow it up with
the Chief Justice.
"I do not understand why the government is taking so
long to appoint the Lokayukta when the Meghalaya Lokayukta Act
was passed in 2002," the Leader of the Opposition said
He said, "While corruption is the driving issue in the
country, I cannot understand why the delay here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zika virus may spread sexually from asymptomatic man to woman, claims study
- Delhi constable murder: All three culprits arrested
- Now KRK gets in on the act, blasts Piers Morgan for tweeting about PM Modi
- Seven killed in road accident in Uttar Pradesh's Ambedkarnagar
- Searching for weekend get aways in South? Give it a look