Look East policy a failure in NE: NEFIT
Guwahati: A premier international trade
body of the North East has decried the lack of benefit to
the region from the country`s `Look East` policy and alleged
state governments were responsible for it.
"Since it was initiated in 1991, the policy has not
benefited as much as it was claimed or should have been till
date," North East Federation of International Trade (NEFIT)
chairman R C Agarwal said.
Although in the initial stage the focus of the policy
was much on ASEAN and proved a success but in the North East
perspective it became a failure gradually, he said.
He said that till date there was virtually no role for
states of the North East while neighbouring China had focussed
on developing its backward regions through greater economic
ties with ASEAN.
"While India is watching and contemplating, China has
gone ahead in building new highways linking Kunming (Yunan)
with Northern Myanmar and Thailand," Agarwal said.
The Centre must change its perception in understanding
the region`s problems and prospects in a more holistic manner,
Opening of the Stilwel Road that directly connects the
region with South Asia and the trilateral highways for
which an agreement has been signed between India, Myanmar
and Thailand could do well.
For enhancing trade, trade information and visa
collection offices of Myanmar, Thailand and Bangladesh should
be set up in either Shillong or Guwahati, which was the
gateway to the region, Agarwal said.
"India`s policy of strengthening its ties with eastern
neighbours has been sadly limited to counter insurgency
efforts," he said.
"It is unfortunate that though the region is a natural
bridge between India and Southeast Asia, lack of
infrastructure and development has plagued the region,"
The entire infrastructure of roads, railway, air
transport and communication would have to be revamped to serve
the objectives of the Look East policy, he said.
The policy, he said, would provide a bridge between the
rest of India and Southeast Asia "of which the Northeast
will forever remain an underbelly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'