Low turnout in Meghalaya autonomous tribal councils polls
Shillong: Voter turnout was low in the polling for two autonomous district councils which was marred by stray incidents of violence Monday, officials said.
The polling was held for the Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council and the Jaintia Hills Autonomous District Council where voter turn out was about 25 per cent only till late afternoon.
Voting was stopped at a booth in Umladang constituency in West Jaintia Hills district after miscreants destroyed the electronic voting machine, Meghalaya District Council Affairs commissioner & secretary Jopthiaw Lyngdoh said.
"The mob that entered the polling station had come from outside the village. We are yet to identify the miscreants. Investigation is on to identify those involved," West Jaintia hills district SP Hubert Lyngdoh said.
The returning officer concerned and West Jaintia Hills district Deputy Commissioner P Dkhar recommended re-poll in the polling station.
Meanwhile, the police have arrested M Marpna, a presiding officer in East Khasi Hills district, as he was found drunk on duty, Returning Officer Sanjay Goyal said.
Magistrates were sent to the polling station to ensure that polling was not interrupted. The officer has been taken for medical tests.
Action would be initiated against him, he said.
Over eight lakh tribal voters in Meghalaya are eligible to cast their votes to elect 58 members to the two autonomous councils where 212 candidates are contesting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!