‘Lower Subansiri project to go on despite protest’
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh government
on Wednesday said Lower Subansiri hydro-electric project would be
finished in time despite ongoing blockade in neighbouring
state of Assam.
"Assam government should take measures to control the
situation so that people of Arunachal Pradesh are not harassed
unnecessarily," Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki
told reporters here.
Informing that he would soon meet his Assam
counterpart Tarun Gogoi, Tuki said several vehicles from
Arunachal Pradesh were badly damaged by agitators in Assam
during the past few days.
"The project would be completed as per schedule
despite all odds," Tuki said.
Anti-dam protesters led by Krishak Mukti Sangram
Samiti (KMSS) have launched indefinite blockade at Lakhimpur
in Assam to protest in coming up of the 2,000 MW Lower
Subansiri Hydro-Electric Project (LSHEP) at Gerukamukh.
The anti-dam protesters alleged that the
hydro-electric projects, being carried out by National
Hydro-electric Power Corporation (NHPC), would have a serious
impact on the lives of the people living in the downstream of
The blockade has triggered food and fuel crisis in
East, West and Upper Siang districts of Arunachal Pradesh,
"We will support NHPC to complete the project in time
as it will help both Arunachal Pradesh and Assam equally,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini