‘Lower Subansiri project to go on despite protest’
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh government
on Wednesday said Lower Subansiri hydro-electric project would be
finished in time despite ongoing blockade in neighbouring
state of Assam.
"Assam government should take measures to control the
situation so that people of Arunachal Pradesh are not harassed
unnecessarily," Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki
told reporters here.
Informing that he would soon meet his Assam
counterpart Tarun Gogoi, Tuki said several vehicles from
Arunachal Pradesh were badly damaged by agitators in Assam
during the past few days.
"The project would be completed as per schedule
despite all odds," Tuki said.
Anti-dam protesters led by Krishak Mukti Sangram
Samiti (KMSS) have launched indefinite blockade at Lakhimpur
in Assam to protest in coming up of the 2,000 MW Lower
Subansiri Hydro-Electric Project (LSHEP) at Gerukamukh.
The anti-dam protesters alleged that the
hydro-electric projects, being carried out by National
Hydro-electric Power Corporation (NHPC), would have a serious
impact on the lives of the people living in the downstream of
The blockade has triggered food and fuel crisis in
East, West and Upper Siang districts of Arunachal Pradesh,
"We will support NHPC to complete the project in time
as it will help both Arunachal Pradesh and Assam equally,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister