‘Lower Subansiri project to go on despite protest’
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh government
on Wednesday said Lower Subansiri hydro-electric project would be
finished in time despite ongoing blockade in neighbouring
state of Assam.
"Assam government should take measures to control the
situation so that people of Arunachal Pradesh are not harassed
unnecessarily," Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki
told reporters here.
Informing that he would soon meet his Assam
counterpart Tarun Gogoi, Tuki said several vehicles from
Arunachal Pradesh were badly damaged by agitators in Assam
during the past few days.
"The project would be completed as per schedule
despite all odds," Tuki said.
Anti-dam protesters led by Krishak Mukti Sangram
Samiti (KMSS) have launched indefinite blockade at Lakhimpur
in Assam to protest in coming up of the 2,000 MW Lower
Subansiri Hydro-Electric Project (LSHEP) at Gerukamukh.
The anti-dam protesters alleged that the
hydro-electric projects, being carried out by National
Hydro-electric Power Corporation (NHPC), would have a serious
impact on the lives of the people living in the downstream of
The blockade has triggered food and fuel crisis in
East, West and Upper Siang districts of Arunachal Pradesh,
"We will support NHPC to complete the project in time
as it will help both Arunachal Pradesh and Assam equally,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey