LS nod to bifurcate civil services cadres of Manipur, Tripura
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha on Monday passed a bill that seeks to bifurcate the civil services cadres of Manipur and Tripura, meeting a long standing demand from the two northeastern states.
The North-Eastern Areas (Reorganisation) Amendment Bill, 2011, was passed by the Lok Sabha by voice vote amid sloganeering by opposition members who were demanding resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the coal block allocation issue.
The Bill was piloted by Minister of State for Home Mullapally Ramachandran.
Currently, the states of Tripura and Manipur have a joint cadre of the Indian Administrative Service, the Indian Police Service, and the Indian Forest Service.
The Bill bifurcates each of these three cadres for the two states of Manipur and Tripura.
The demand for bifurcation of the joint Manipur and Tripura cadre in respect of the three services was raised by Tripura in 2004.
After a meeting of the cadre controlling authorities of the All-India Services - the Department of Personnel and Training, the Ministry of Home Affairs and the Ministry of Environment and Forests - in January 2009, it was recommended to split the joint Manipur and Tripura All-India Service cadres into two independent state cadres.
The proposal for splitting the joint Manipur and Tripura cadre of the All-India Services was considered by the Central Government after consultation with all stakeholders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read