Mahanta to fight Hazarika for AGP top post
Guwahati: Two time Assam chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta and fire brand MLA Padma Hazarika will vie for the AGP`s top post during the organisational polls on April 26.
Mahanta and Hazarika are the only candidates who have filed nomination for the AGP president`s post, party sources said.
This is the first time in the history of AGP, formed in 1985 after six-year-long anti-foreigners agitation in Assam, the party is holding organisational elections at all levels.
"We tried our best to build a consensus for president`s post. Since we have failed, I have decided neither to be a candidate nor to take part in the electoral process unless the serving president`s vote is required to break a tie, if happens," present President Chandra Mohan Patowary said.
AGP, out of power in the state since 2001, received a severe set back in the last assembly polls in 2011 when its strength fell to 10 MLAs in the 126-member house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Deepika Padukone enters 'world`s highest-paid actresses' list
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding