Mahanta to fight Hazarika for AGP top post
Guwahati: Two time Assam chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta and fire brand MLA Padma Hazarika will vie for the AGP`s top post during the organisational polls on April 26.
Mahanta and Hazarika are the only candidates who have filed nomination for the AGP president`s post, party sources said.
This is the first time in the history of AGP, formed in 1985 after six-year-long anti-foreigners agitation in Assam, the party is holding organisational elections at all levels.
"We tried our best to build a consensus for president`s post. Since we have failed, I have decided neither to be a candidate nor to take part in the electoral process unless the serving president`s vote is required to break a tie, if happens," present President Chandra Mohan Patowary said.
AGP, out of power in the state since 2001, received a severe set back in the last assembly polls in 2011 when its strength fell to 10 MLAs in the 126-member house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone