Mahanta to fight Hazarika for AGP top post
Guwahati: Two time Assam chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta and fire brand MLA Padma Hazarika will vie for the AGP`s top post during the organisational polls on April 26.
Mahanta and Hazarika are the only candidates who have filed nomination for the AGP president`s post, party sources said.
This is the first time in the history of AGP, formed in 1985 after six-year-long anti-foreigners agitation in Assam, the party is holding organisational elections at all levels.
"We tried our best to build a consensus for president`s post. Since we have failed, I have decided neither to be a candidate nor to take part in the electoral process unless the serving president`s vote is required to break a tie, if happens," present President Chandra Mohan Patowary said.
AGP, out of power in the state since 2001, received a severe set back in the last assembly polls in 2011 when its strength fell to 10 MLAs in the 126-member house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan