Mahasen: Mizoram schools to remain shut on Friday
Aizawl: With Cyclone Mahasen likely to hit the northeast state on Thursday night, the Mizoram government has decided to close all schools on Friday and declared a half-holiday on Thursday.
State Education Secretary K Lalnghinglova said that a circular to this effect has already been issued and circulated to the head of the institutions of government schools as a precautionary measure.
Lalnghinglova, however, said the government had not taken any decision to close government offices.
Meanwhile, Principal Scientific Officer of the state Planning Department`s Science and Technology wing Vanlalzara said the cyclone was not likely to hit northern parts of the state.
Quoting data from the Regional Meteorological Centre in Guwahati, Vanlalzara said Cyclone Mahasen was likely to hit the southern part of the state - Lunglei and other southern districts.
"Though we have received information that the cyclone picked up speed, we hope that it would eventually slow down when it hits the state on Thursday night," he said.
The cyclone`s speed might lessen when it hits Mizoram but unprecedented heavy rain is predicted for the northern parts of the state, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM