Maintain status quo on Arunachal airport location: HC
Itanagar: The Gauhati High Court has directed the Arunachal Pradesh government to maintain status quo as to the location of the proposed Greenfield airport in the state, which of late has been the bone of contention between the government and the Banderdewa Circle Intellectual Forum (BCIF).
Ruling in the matter of a PIL filed by Taniang Kipa, challenging the government`s move to shift the location of the airport from Karsingsa to Hollongi, Chief Justice A K Goel has directed to maintain status quo as to the location of the project.
The petition contended that a team of experts from the Airports Authority of India originally selected Karsingsa as the airport`s site on March 3, 2006 and after completing other formalities, the foundation stone was laid there by the then union home minister Shivraj Patil on February 20, 2007.
"The abrupt change as to the location of the airport may not, prima facie, appear to be in public interest," the chief justice ruled, adding, this aspect would, however, "have to be further examined in the light of any further material which may be placed by the respondents".
The BCIF has been opposing tooth and nail the proposed move to shift the airport site and has launched a series of agitations including bandh call in the recent past.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed