Maintain status quo on Arunachal airport location: HC
Itanagar: The Gauhati High Court has directed the Arunachal Pradesh government to maintain status quo as to the location of the proposed Greenfield airport in the state, which of late has been the bone of contention between the government and the Banderdewa Circle Intellectual Forum (BCIF).
Ruling in the matter of a PIL filed by Taniang Kipa, challenging the government`s move to shift the location of the airport from Karsingsa to Hollongi, Chief Justice A K Goel has directed to maintain status quo as to the location of the project.
The petition contended that a team of experts from the Airports Authority of India originally selected Karsingsa as the airport`s site on March 3, 2006 and after completing other formalities, the foundation stone was laid there by the then union home minister Shivraj Patil on February 20, 2007.
"The abrupt change as to the location of the airport may not, prima facie, appear to be in public interest," the chief justice ruled, adding, this aspect would, however, "have to be further examined in the light of any further material which may be placed by the respondents".
The BCIF has been opposing tooth and nail the proposed move to shift the airport site and has launched a series of agitations including bandh call in the recent past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack