Major parties hopeful of victory in Assam poll
Guwahati: With barely a couple of days
left for the assembly election results, major political
parties including the ruling Congress and the opposition Asom
Gana Parishad (AGP) and the BJP are hoping to form the
government in Assam.
With back-to-back governments in the last ten years,
the ruling Congress under the leadership of chief minister
Tarun Gogoi is confident of staging a hattrick.
"We are confident of forming the government on our
performance in the last ten years which has helped the state
to develop," Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC) president
Bhubaneswar Kalita said.
With the CNN-IBN-Hindu exit poll predicting the ruling
Congress will return to power, Kalita hoped his party would
win a majority of seats in the 126-member house.
The exit poll conducted by CNN predicted the Congress
will get nearly 60 seats and the opposition AGP 30.
The exit poll gave the BJP a maximum of 28 to 35
In the outgoing house the ruling Congress has 71 seats
as against AGP`s 20 and BJP`s eight while there are 19
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam