Major parties hopeful of victory in Assam poll
Guwahati: With barely a couple of days
left for the assembly election results, major political
parties including the ruling Congress and the opposition Asom
Gana Parishad (AGP) and the BJP are hoping to form the
government in Assam.
With back-to-back governments in the last ten years,
the ruling Congress under the leadership of chief minister
Tarun Gogoi is confident of staging a hattrick.
"We are confident of forming the government on our
performance in the last ten years which has helped the state
to develop," Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC) president
Bhubaneswar Kalita said.
With the CNN-IBN-Hindu exit poll predicting the ruling
Congress will return to power, Kalita hoped his party would
win a majority of seats in the 126-member house.
The exit poll conducted by CNN predicted the Congress
will get nearly 60 seats and the opposition AGP 30.
The exit poll gave the BJP a maximum of 28 to 35
In the outgoing house the ruling Congress has 71 seats
as against AGP`s 20 and BJP`s eight while there are 19
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan