Majority of Manipur encounters are fake:NHRC
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what is likely to further strengthen the case of rights activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast for over a decade demanding the repeal of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), the National Human Rights Commission has found that most of the encounters held in the state are fake.
Reports on Wednesday said that the NHRC made this observation after making its first ever visit to the state nearly a fortnight ago. The apex human rights body said that twenty of the 44 encounter cases against the state security forces heard by the commission have been declared fake.
The commission is yet to decide on the remaining 22 cases.
The NHRC has also directed the Manipur government to provide relief to the family of those killed in these fake encounters.
The members of the commission made this observation after going through a critical process of conducting 44 hearings against complaints filed by victims of alleged fake encounters.
The commission has also sought a response from the state government regarding its compliance with its recommendations on providing relief to the next of kin.
"State government had failed to make its case, and we told the government to give them relief and in Imphal we closed the cases as well," NHRC member Satyabrata Pal was quoted as saying.
The findings of the commission have come as a major blow to the security forces (para military, police and Army), which have often defended itself by claiming that the exchange of fire was an exercise of right of self-defence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery