Man of fundamentalist background can`t be PM: Mukul Sangma
Shillong: BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi will never become the prime minister of India because of his fundamentalist background, but the Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi will make it, Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said here Wednesday.
"I don`t see Modi becoming a prime minister, and any person having fundamentalist background in this country cannot aspire and become prime minister," Sangma told IANS.
Describing his Gujarat counterpart Modi as "ambitious" and "impatient", the senior Congress leader from Meghalaya, however, exuded confidence that Rahul Gandhi will take over as the next prime minister.
"I have nothing against Modi. He is ambitious, hard working but impatient. In context of India, a man with this fundamentalist background will not be the prime minister of India," Sangma told IANS.
Asked for comment on development of Gujarat under Modi, Sangma said, "I would be happy if you try with Chief Minister of Manipur (Okram Ibobi Singh) and send him (Okram Singh) in his place and send Modi to Manipur."
He said the development in some of the states in the country was mainly because of the central-sponsored schemes launched by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government.
"This is the third term for him and any chief minister having the privilege of being in third term in last decades has been able to demonstrate some success stories because of the good things happening in the country," Sangma said.
"Whether it is Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh or Bihar, wherever there is stability, it (progress) has happened."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read