Manik Sarkar can vie for `cleanest and poorest` CM
Agartala: Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar can arguably be dubbed `the cleanest and poorest` Chief Minister in the country with personal property, movable and immovable, valued at less than Rs 2.5 lakhs.
According to the affidavit submitted by Sarkar during filing of nomination in Dhanpur constituency on Thursday for the coming Assembly Elections, the CM had Rs 1080 as cash in hand and his bank balance stood at Rs 9720/-.
He inherited a home of 432 sq ft with a tin shed house from his deceased mother Anjali Sarkar whose present market value was Rs 2,20,000/-.
However, his wife Panchali Bhattacharya who is a retired officer of the Central government has a cash fixed deposit of Rs 23,58,380 and jewellery of 20 gm of gold, the present market value of which is Rs 72,000. She has cash of Rs 22015 in hand.
Her family sources said she had got the money as her retirement benefit.
The couple has no movable property and the total value of immovable property and cash is Rs 24,52,395.
A state committee member of the ruling CPI-M, Haripada Das, who looks after the accounts of the party said, like other party members, Sarkar donates his full salary and subsidiary allowances to the party and instead the party pays him Rs 5000 as subsistence allowances.
According to official sources, the Chief Minister`s monthly salary is Rs 9,200 which, perhaps is the lowest in the country. When contacted, State Party Secretary Bijan Dhar said, “I can only say that he has no leaning for increasing his own personal property. He has dedicated his entire life for the party and people.”
Even his bitter critics do not blame him for any kind of corruptions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents