Manipu blast: One killed, two Assam Rifles jawans injured
Imphal: A 60-year old man was killed and three others including two Assam Rifles jawans were injured on Friday when a powerful bomb exploded followed by exchange of fire with insurgents in Manipur`s Chandel district, official sources said.
Sources said the bomb, allegedly planted by insurgents to attack security personnel at a roadside at Kwatha Khunou went off this afternoon at about 1.30 pm, injuring two Assam Rifles jawans of 24th Assam Rifles battalion who were patrolling the area near Manipur-Myanmar border.
It was also not known whether the insurgents exploded the bomb by using remote-controlled device or timer but official sources said it was a powerful bomb of improvised explosive device (IED).
The sound of explosion could be heard at a distance of 3 km.
First official reports said Assam Rifles personnel opened fire seconds after the explosion at the hill side where they thought insurgents were fleeing.
Reports said two civilians, identified as Sangaijao Singh and Kaboklei, who were working nearby were injured but it was not immediately known whether they sustained injuries by the splinters of the bomb or in the exchange of fire between Assam Rifles personnel and insurgents.
Official sources said Sangaijao Singh died of his injuries while the injured were taken to a nearby hospital at the border town of Moreh, about 3 km from the spot.
Sources said a large number of police and other security forces from Moreh rushed to the spot for a massive manhunt but no one was arrested so far.
Insurgents reportedly escaped to nearby thick jungles, sources said.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the incident but banned People`s Liberation Army (PLA) have been attacking security personnel at different places in the past one by exploding bombs more than five times this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!