Manipur: 1,900 vehicles to bring basics from Assam
Imphal: The Manipur government on Monday sent
around 1,900 vehicles with police escort to Silchar in Assam
to bring food grains and petrol with the state facing shortage
of essential commodities due to the economic blockades, since
August 21, called by United Naga Council, officials said.
All the vehicles which left Imphal for Silchar would
arrive with essential items and petroleum products in the next
two days, they said.
Manipur has been facing acute shortage of food grains,
petrol and life saving drugs due to the economic blockades
imposed by UNC on Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar and Imphal-Dimapur-
Guwahati national highways to protest the demand of Sadar
Hills District Demand Committee (SHDDC) to upgrade Kuki-
majority Sadar Hills area into Naga-majority Senapati district
into a full-fledged revenue district.
Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh had also appealed to
the UNC to withdraw the blockade.
"We are having patience but the government may take stern
action if the situation does not improve," Singh had said
The SHDDC had ended its 93-day old economic blockades on
the Manipur portions of the two national highways on October
31 after an agreement with the state government which agreed
to convert the area into a revenue district.
There was a four-km-long queue yesterday at a petrol
pump. Today only one pump was selling petrol.
Petrol is being sold in the black market for Rs 200 per
litre and cooking gas at Rs 1,650 per cylinder.
During his recent visit to the state, Home Minister P
Chidambaram had appealed to the people to settle all disputes
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in