Manipur: 1,900 vehicles to bring basics from Assam
Imphal: The Manipur government on Monday sent
around 1,900 vehicles with police escort to Silchar in Assam
to bring food grains and petrol with the state facing shortage
of essential commodities due to the economic blockades, since
August 21, called by United Naga Council, officials said.
All the vehicles which left Imphal for Silchar would
arrive with essential items and petroleum products in the next
two days, they said.
Manipur has been facing acute shortage of food grains,
petrol and life saving drugs due to the economic blockades
imposed by UNC on Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar and Imphal-Dimapur-
Guwahati national highways to protest the demand of Sadar
Hills District Demand Committee (SHDDC) to upgrade Kuki-
majority Sadar Hills area into Naga-majority Senapati district
into a full-fledged revenue district.
Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh had also appealed to
the UNC to withdraw the blockade.
"We are having patience but the government may take stern
action if the situation does not improve," Singh had said
The SHDDC had ended its 93-day old economic blockades on
the Manipur portions of the two national highways on October
31 after an agreement with the state government which agreed
to convert the area into a revenue district.
There was a four-km-long queue yesterday at a petrol
pump. Today only one pump was selling petrol.
Petrol is being sold in the black market for Rs 200 per
litre and cooking gas at Rs 1,650 per cylinder.
During his recent visit to the state, Home Minister P
Chidambaram had appealed to the people to settle all disputes
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video