Manipur: 1,900 vehicles to bring basics from Assam
Imphal: The Manipur government on Monday sent
around 1,900 vehicles with police escort to Silchar in Assam
to bring food grains and petrol with the state facing shortage
of essential commodities due to the economic blockades, since
August 21, called by United Naga Council, officials said.
All the vehicles which left Imphal for Silchar would
arrive with essential items and petroleum products in the next
two days, they said.
Manipur has been facing acute shortage of food grains,
petrol and life saving drugs due to the economic blockades
imposed by UNC on Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar and Imphal-Dimapur-
Guwahati national highways to protest the demand of Sadar
Hills District Demand Committee (SHDDC) to upgrade Kuki-
majority Sadar Hills area into Naga-majority Senapati district
into a full-fledged revenue district.
Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh had also appealed to
the UNC to withdraw the blockade.
"We are having patience but the government may take stern
action if the situation does not improve," Singh had said
The SHDDC had ended its 93-day old economic blockades on
the Manipur portions of the two national highways on October
31 after an agreement with the state government which agreed
to convert the area into a revenue district.
There was a four-km-long queue yesterday at a petrol
pump. Today only one pump was selling petrol.
Petrol is being sold in the black market for Rs 200 per
litre and cooking gas at Rs 1,650 per cylinder.
During his recent visit to the state, Home Minister P
Chidambaram had appealed to the people to settle all disputes
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!