Manipur: 70th day of economic blockade
New Delhi: The economic blockade on the
highways linking Manipur entered the 70th day today with no
sign of end despite the Centre sending security forces to
ensure smooth supply of essential commodities to the north
Home Ministry officials have expressed concern over the
long blockade which is affecting normal life in Manipur, where
prices of all goods have shot up to an unprecedented level.
"The Home Ministry is making every effort to see that
people of Manipur are not inconvenienced. We have provided
Central security forces so that supply line through
alternative Jiribam-Imphal road is open," an official said
The Centre is awaiting the report of the committee
constituted by the Manipur government to look into the demands
of the agitators who are blocking National Highway 53 and 39.
Sources said the Centre is unlikely to take any drastic
move to remove the blockade in Manipur as it is ruled by a
Congress government and Assembly elections there are due early
Home Minister P Chidambaram had said last week that
Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh has constituted a
district reorganisation commission to look into the demands of
the agitating groups.
"The chief minister has requested them to be patient till
the report of the commission comes. My appeal to both the
groups is to wait for the report and withdraw the blockade,"
he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations