Manipur: 70th day of economic blockade
New Delhi: The economic blockade on the
highways linking Manipur entered the 70th day today with no
sign of end despite the Centre sending security forces to
ensure smooth supply of essential commodities to the north
Home Ministry officials have expressed concern over the
long blockade which is affecting normal life in Manipur, where
prices of all goods have shot up to an unprecedented level.
"The Home Ministry is making every effort to see that
people of Manipur are not inconvenienced. We have provided
Central security forces so that supply line through
alternative Jiribam-Imphal road is open," an official said
The Centre is awaiting the report of the committee
constituted by the Manipur government to look into the demands
of the agitators who are blocking National Highway 53 and 39.
Sources said the Centre is unlikely to take any drastic
move to remove the blockade in Manipur as it is ruled by a
Congress government and Assembly elections there are due early
Home Minister P Chidambaram had said last week that
Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh has constituted a
district reorganisation commission to look into the demands of
the agitating groups.
"The chief minister has requested them to be patient till
the report of the commission comes. My appeal to both the
groups is to wait for the report and withdraw the blockade,"
he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Facebook hires top ex-Google executive for internet projects
- Want a better life? Practice these 5 habits – Watch video
- Toyota launches new engine facility in Bengaluru
- Rio-bound boxer Manoj Kumar reaches out to PM Narendra Modi – Here's why
- Subramanian Swamy denies targeting Arun Jaitley, says he looks very smart in a coat