Manipur: 70th day of economic blockade
New Delhi: The economic blockade on the
highways linking Manipur entered the 70th day today with no
sign of end despite the Centre sending security forces to
ensure smooth supply of essential commodities to the north
Home Ministry officials have expressed concern over the
long blockade which is affecting normal life in Manipur, where
prices of all goods have shot up to an unprecedented level.
"The Home Ministry is making every effort to see that
people of Manipur are not inconvenienced. We have provided
Central security forces so that supply line through
alternative Jiribam-Imphal road is open," an official said
The Centre is awaiting the report of the committee
constituted by the Manipur government to look into the demands
of the agitators who are blocking National Highway 53 and 39.
Sources said the Centre is unlikely to take any drastic
move to remove the blockade in Manipur as it is ruled by a
Congress government and Assembly elections there are due early
Home Minister P Chidambaram had said last week that
Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh has constituted a
district reorganisation commission to look into the demands of
the agitating groups.
"The chief minister has requested them to be patient till
the report of the commission comes. My appeal to both the
groups is to wait for the report and withdraw the blockade,"
he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg