Manipur assembly for implementation of ILP
Imphal: Manipur assembly on Thursday unanimously resolved to urge the Centre to extend the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation (BEFR), 1873 or inner line permit (ILP) system in the state.
The resolution was moved by Congress MLA R K Anand who emphasised the need to amend the Constitution for extension of the regulation in the state in view of the increasing number of people coming from other states to Manipur.
Speaking during the discussion, Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh expressed the need to detect foreign nationals who have entered the state for manual work without valid documents and appealed to NGOs to help authorities in this.
The government, he said, is prepared to send an all party delegation to Delhi to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and other central leaders for extension of BEFR to the state by amending the constitution suitably.
Regarding the ongoing agitation by various social organisations for implementation of inner line permit (ILP) system in the state, he appealed to all not to resort to violence.
Opposition leader I Ibohalbi (Trinamool Congress), senior opposition member L Ibomcha (Nationalist Congress Party) and some other senior members also spoke on the issue.
Later, the house unanimously resolved to urge the central government to extend the BEFR 1873 in the state and requested the speaker to convey the resolution to the centre.
Official sources said various social organisations including students bodies have been organising sit-ins and other forms of agitation FOR over a month to press for the implementation of ILP.
The social organisations claim that the number of people coming to Manipur from other states far outnumber the total tribal population in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog