Manipur blast mars Republic Day
Imphal: A bomb explosion Saturday marred the Republic Day celebrations in Manipur, with Governor Gurbachan Jagat appealing for peace in the troubled state.
Amid tight security, Jagat unfurled the national flag and took the salute at an impressive march past by police forces here.
Separatist rebels triggered an improvised explosive device blast at Wangbal in Thoubal district, police said. No one was injured.
Speaking on the occasion, the governor called for enduring peace in the state.
A Coordination Committee of seven major separatist outfits called for a boycott of the Republic Day.
On Friday, rebels triggered four blasts in the state capital including one at the Manipur Rifles ground. However, no one was injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog