Manipur blast mars Republic Day
Imphal: A bomb explosion Saturday marred the Republic Day celebrations in Manipur, with Governor Gurbachan Jagat appealing for peace in the troubled state.
Amid tight security, Jagat unfurled the national flag and took the salute at an impressive march past by police forces here.
Separatist rebels triggered an improvised explosive device blast at Wangbal in Thoubal district, police said. No one was injured.
Speaking on the occasion, the governor called for enduring peace in the state.
A Coordination Committee of seven major separatist outfits called for a boycott of the Republic Day.
On Friday, rebels triggered four blasts in the state capital including one at the Manipur Rifles ground. However, no one was injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards