Manipur central jail introduces several reforms for inmates
Imphal: The Central Jail at Sajiwa in Manipur has become the first in the northeast to start a reform centre for its inmates.
The Central Jail, situated at Sajiwa in East Imphal, houses over 640 inmates in seven different sectors. It has become be northeast’s first jail to have meditation, sports and other co-curricular activities for the inmates, who can now play volleyball, meditate, do yoga or exercise at a gym.
The jail has also different sections for teaching painting and education to inmates. A specialized team from the “Art of Living” Centre has been providing classes to inmates to change their lives, and help the addicts stay away from drugs.
The initiative has been taken by Manipur state Prison authorities led by ADGP, MK Das, and SP Jails, IK Muivah.
“We try to inspire them to lead a better life. During the yoga process they come to reconcile themselves and also through body building they come back to a healthier lifestyle and through adult education they acquire diploma certificate which make them more confident. So our main objective is that after being released from jail they should not go back to the past life but lead a better and normal life,” said Muivah, IPS, SP Jail Sajiwa.
The recent introduction of yoga classes and gym has helped many inmates, who have who have vowed never to return to drugs and old habits. In addition, the inmates are provided vocational training and free education under IGNOU.
They inmates are happy and they pledge to lead a normal life after completion of their term.
“Usually we hear that prisoners are abused and tortured in jails, but here at Sajiwa such incidents don’t happen. We stay here peacefully. We love and respect each other, and we do everything according to the instructor. So, I am very happy because we do not face any kind of abuse or torture, and I really appreciate the authorities for taking care of us,” said Maibam, an inmate.
Vocational training is provided to female prisoners. They are taught to make things like detergent powder, incense sticks, cane stools, toys, embroidery and knitting. HIV/AIDS prevention and assistance is handled by Manipur Aids Control Society (MACs) and Manipur Network for positive People.
“Things have changed a lot. We get an opportunity to study here. Room-mates are very helpful. They provide us training where we learn how to read and write. We also do yoga regularly and other activities. So, it’s very good,” added Anita, another inmate.
Such initiatives by the jail authorities will not only change the lives of the inmates, but will also help them lead a normal life in the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly