Manipur Chief Minister asks militants not to disturb media
Imphal: In an apparent reference to militants, Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh has said the media should be allowed to function freely and smoothly as it was important for people to keep themselves informed about the latest happenings in the state.
"Those who are disturbing media persons and houses and imposing terms that their press statements should be published in verbatim have no principles and rules of their own", Singh said while speaking on the occasion of the 39th foundation day of the `Manipur Press Club` here yesterday.
Official sources said Singh`s comment was in view of the followed frequent closures of media houses and non-publication of dailies in the state due to threats from militants.
The Chief Minister said no organisation or individual should cause fear among media persons who were working selflessly in the interest of the general public.
Some militants had exploded a bomb in the house of senior journalist and president of the All Manipur Working Journalists` Union A Mobi some weeks ago.
The chief minister said some persons allegedly involved in the incident have been arrested.
The sources said said the militants had exploded the bomb because Mobi, along with senior members of the Union, had refused to publish press statements of some militant factions.
The Chief Minister said the state government was looking into the problems faced by media persons in the state.
He said the government was also examining a proposal if pension for retired journalists could be increased besides improving the medical facilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai