Manipur CM asks militants to give up violence
Imphal: Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh on Friday appealed to the militants to lay down arms and participate in the development programmes undertaken by the government for the welfare of the people.
Unfurling the National Flag at the Parade Ground of 1st Manipur Rifles Battalion here, he said, "In a democratic country like ours, everything can be discussed through dialogue and violence will not bring any solution."
Independence Day was today observed in Manipur amid heavy security deployment in view of a `general strike` called by major insurgent organisations.
Both central paramilitary and state forces were deployed around the complex where the chief minister unfurled the flag.
Official sources said the state forces were also deployed in various parts of the state capital to prevent any untoward incident on the Independence Day.
Meanwhile, normal life was affected in the state capital as a fallout of the insurgents-sponsored general strike with all the major roads wearing a deserted look since vehicles were off the road and people preferring to remain indoors, official reports said.
Reports from the districts said Independence Day was observed in all the district headquarters.
The Coordination Committee, formed by six major insurgent organisations including United National Liberation Front, Revolutionary People`s Front, Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup and Kangleipak Communist Party, has called a `general strike` from 1 AM till 5.30 PM today against the celebration of Independence Day saying "Manipur was forcibly merged with the Union of India in 1949."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Two years of Modi govt: Hope has replaced hopelessness under NDA rule, says PM
- Assam Board SEBA Class 10th Examination Results 2016: SEBA HSLC Results 2016, Assam HSLC Result 2016 to be declared on May 31
- BJP's Assam MLA Angoorlata Deka's viral 'picture': You will be SHOCKED to know the truth!
- Countdown begins! 'Housefull 3' a week away from release, know who all Jacqueline Fernandez will miss!
- Riteish Deshmukh pays tribute to father on 70th birth anniversary!