Manipur CM asks militants to give up violence
Imphal: Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh on Friday appealed to the militants to lay down arms and participate in the development programmes undertaken by the government for the welfare of the people.
Unfurling the National Flag at the Parade Ground of 1st Manipur Rifles Battalion here, he said, "In a democratic country like ours, everything can be discussed through dialogue and violence will not bring any solution."
Independence Day was today observed in Manipur amid heavy security deployment in view of a `general strike` called by major insurgent organisations.
Both central paramilitary and state forces were deployed around the complex where the chief minister unfurled the flag.
Official sources said the state forces were also deployed in various parts of the state capital to prevent any untoward incident on the Independence Day.
Meanwhile, normal life was affected in the state capital as a fallout of the insurgents-sponsored general strike with all the major roads wearing a deserted look since vehicles were off the road and people preferring to remain indoors, official reports said.
Reports from the districts said Independence Day was observed in all the district headquarters.
The Coordination Committee, formed by six major insurgent organisations including United National Liberation Front, Revolutionary People`s Front, Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup and Kangleipak Communist Party, has called a `general strike` from 1 AM till 5.30 PM today against the celebration of Independence Day saying "Manipur was forcibly merged with the Union of India in 1949."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden