Manipur declares eco blockade, leaders `wanted`
Imphal: President of two organisations, which had launched an indefinite economic blockade on national highways in Manipur since April 12, have been declared `wanted` by the state government with a cash reward of rupees one lakh each on their heads.
Acting presidents of the All Naga Students` Association Manipur David Choro (38) and United Naga Council Samson Remei (50) have been declared `wanted` by the Manipur government on June 5, officials said today.
In an order issued by DGP Y Joy Kumar yesterday, it was announced that any person providing information leading to the arrest of the duo would be given Rs one lakh.
The two organisations had launched the blockade on NH-39 (Imphal-Dimapur) and NH-53 (Imphal-Jiribam) since April 12 protesting elections to Autonomous District Councils (ADCs) in Manipur hills and Manipur government`s decision to ban entry of NSCN leader T Muivah to the state.
The Naga outfits alleged that enough monetary power was not given to the councils.
Earlier, the Guwahati High Court had issued a directive to arrest the duo.
The economic blockade has pushed Manipur in the verge of a breakdown with stocks of all essentials commodities, including baby food and life saving drugs, almost drying up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'