Manipur economic blockade into 93rd day
Imphal: The crippling economic blockades on two national highways in Manipur entered the 93rd day on Monday, even as one of the sponsors called for a 48-hour bandh in five hill districts from midnight tonight to mount pressure on the
A spokesman of the Sadar Hills District Demand Committee (SHDDC) said a 48-hour bandh has been called in Senapati, Ukhrul, Tamenglong, Chandel and Churachandpur districts.
It would be followed by an indefinite general strike and bandh in the Sadar Hills in Senapati district till the government agreed to its demand, he said.
The SHDDC has demanded conversion of Kuki-majority Sadar hills area in Naga-majority Senapati district into a full fledged revenue district.
It has been blockading the Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati (NH 39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar (NH 53) since August 1.
Opposing this, the United Naga Council, blockaded the two national highways since August 21.
The efforts to ferry in supplies from outside the state by security forces were being disturbed by volunteers picketing on the national highways, official sources said.
This has resulted in suffering for a population of 27 lakh in the state which is spread over 22,327 square kilometres.
The cabinet has met seven times on the issue of Sadar Hills in the past two months, but could not take a decision fearing an ethnic clash between Nagas and Kukis, they said.
Over 1000 people were killed in the early 1990s in Kuki-Naga clashes in hill districts because the Nagas wanted to drive out Kukis from Naga-settled areas, they added. Prior to the blockades, over 300 trucks brought in essential supplies one or twice a week on the two national highways with security escort.
The price of cooking gas which cost about Rs 400 has gone upto Rs 1650 per cylinder, petrol which costs Rs 50 per litre has gone upto Rs 120 or more in the black market.
Prices of onions, potatoes, and other essentials have also shot up considerably.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe