Manipur encounter: Terror suspect’s killing sparks protests
Imphal: A suspected militant was killed in
a gunbattle by the security forces, sparking protest by locals
who claimed the encounter to be fake.
23-year-old militant Chongtham Nanao was killed during
the encounter with a joint team of 21st Assam Rifles battalion
and police commandos in Thoubal district on March 14,
However, alleging that Nanao was picked up from his house
at Sekmaijin area in Imphal West district by the security
personnel and shot dead in Thoubal, a Joint Action Committee
-- comprising locals -- today blocked an important road
linking two Manipur districts to this capital town.
The JAC formed in protest against the killing of the
youth blocked Mayai Lambi road connecting Imphal and interior
parts of Imphal West and Thoubal.
Demanding an inquiry into the incident, a JAC spokesman
said the agitation would continue till security personnel
involved in the killing were punished.
Last year, killing of Chungkham Sanjit Singh in an
alleged fake encounter on July 23 at the Imphal market complex
had led to a prolonged agitation by a social organisation
Apunba Lup (AL).
The matter generated heat after a Delhi-based magazine
published photographs of the encounter.
Following the directions of the Imphal Bench of the
Gauhati High Court, the CBI in January took over the
investigation into the Chungkham Sanjit killing.
The controversial Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act,
1958, which is in force in Manipur empowers the security
forces to open fire or arrest without a warrant while
providing legal immunity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!