Manipur Governor discusses state situation with Chief Minister
Imphal: In the wake of stepped up militant violence in Manipur, Governor Ashwani Kumar has discussed the law and order situation in the state with Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh.
Kumar held meeting with Ibobi Singh for more than an hour last evening and discussed the fresh violence including bomb explosions in the past week in the heart of capital complex, official sources said.
An emergency meeting of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) also decided late last evening to ask the government to post a senior police officer not below the rank of an inspector general of police to supervise the police personnel deployed in the capital complex to prevent recurrence of bomb explosions and other activities of the ultras, the sources said.
Police and Manipur Rifles personnel have been deployed in strength in Imphal east and Imphal west districts.
Meanwhile, major insurgent organisations in a joint statement said, "They were not (not) responsible for explosions at Yaiskul area here which killed two civilians and injured five others yesterday and at Thangal market complex on Tuesday last which injured five civilians."
They claimed these explosions might have been carried out persons who wanted to defame the insurgent organisations.
Official sources said all police and security posts have been put on maximum alert to detect movement of militants who may infiltrate into the capital complex to disturb peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why