Manipur home minister`s appeal to parents
Imphal: Manipur home minister Gajkhngam today appealed to the parents and guardians of northeastern students studying in other parts of the country not to panic in the wake of exodus of students from some states following spread of rumours.
"There is no cause for concern as there is no truth in the reports of north eastern people being targetted in Karnataka", Gajkhangam told reporters here after talking to R Ashok, his counterpart in Karnataka.
He said the `false rumours` were alarming causing concern to the family members of the students here.
The minister said that as per information he had received, north-eastern students had not been targetted in other states.
Gajkhangam said Manipur DGP Y Joykumar had spoken to his Karnataka counterpart who informed that there was no violence perpetrated to individuals of the north eastern states.
Manipur home minister`s statement followed media reports that thousands of people from north eastern states working in Karnataka and other southern states left for their for homes following rumours they would be attacked.
Gajkhangam said the Karnataka home minister himself went to the Bangalore railway station to pacify the people from north eastern state asking them not to leave Karnataka saying they were safe in the state.
Meanwhile, civil organistions have urged both state and central governments to take all precautionary measures to take steps to protect the people of the north eastern states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!