Manipur home minister`s appeal to parents
Imphal: Manipur home minister Gajkhngam today appealed to the parents and guardians of northeastern students studying in other parts of the country not to panic in the wake of exodus of students from some states following spread of rumours.
"There is no cause for concern as there is no truth in the reports of north eastern people being targetted in Karnataka", Gajkhangam told reporters here after talking to R Ashok, his counterpart in Karnataka.
He said the `false rumours` were alarming causing concern to the family members of the students here.
The minister said that as per information he had received, north-eastern students had not been targetted in other states.
Gajkhangam said Manipur DGP Y Joykumar had spoken to his Karnataka counterpart who informed that there was no violence perpetrated to individuals of the north eastern states.
Manipur home minister`s statement followed media reports that thousands of people from north eastern states working in Karnataka and other southern states left for their for homes following rumours they would be attacked.
Gajkhangam said the Karnataka home minister himself went to the Bangalore railway station to pacify the people from north eastern state asking them not to leave Karnataka saying they were safe in the state.
Meanwhile, civil organistions have urged both state and central governments to take all precautionary measures to take steps to protect the people of the north eastern states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth