Manipur insurgent organisations call for R-Day boycott
Imphal: Major insurgent organisations, including the United National Liberation Front, have called for a boycott of the Republic Day celebrations in Manipur.
In separate statements today, the organisations said people should not take part in the celebrations and remain indoors to protest the `forcible merger` of Manipur with the Indian union in 1949.
Security measures have been tightened particularly in the four valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishenpur and Thoubal, official sources said.
Meanwhile, a powerful bomb was defused yesterday after it was found at Narainsena in Bishenpur district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured