Manipur insurgent organisations call for R-Day boycott
Imphal: Major insurgent organisations, including the United National Liberation Front, have called for a boycott of the Republic Day celebrations in Manipur.
In separate statements today, the organisations said people should not take part in the celebrations and remain indoors to protest the `forcible merger` of Manipur with the Indian union in 1949.
Security measures have been tightened particularly in the four valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishenpur and Thoubal, official sources said.
Meanwhile, a powerful bomb was defused yesterday after it was found at Narainsena in Bishenpur district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends