Manipur journalist killed in police firing
Imphal: A journalist was killed in police firing in Manipur on Sunday during protests against alleged molestation of a movie actress by a militant of the NSCN-IM.
Media reports suggest that the police resorted to firing when the protesters tried to torch a bus.
Routine life was paralysed in Manipur today as the indefinite general strike, called by a film body against the alleged molestation of a movie actress by a militant of the NSCN-IM, entered the second day.
According to reports, markets, shops and business establishments remained closed in the state while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were affected.
Although the 11-hour-long night curfew, imposed in Imphal East and Imphal West districts since the violence spread yesterday, ended at 6 am this morning, the situation in the state was tense, official sources said.
All major roads in the state capital complex and valley districts wore a deserted look as people preferred to remain indoors during the strike.
Prohibitory orders under section 144 banning the gathering of five or more persons was already in force in Imphal East and Imphal West districts, they said.
Appealing to the strikers, particularly Manipur Film Forum (MFF), state Home Minister Gaikhangam said all out efforts were being made to trace and arrest the NSCN-IM militant Livingstone Anal.
Anal had allegedly molested film actress Momoko in public view while she was compering a musical concert at Chandel district on December 18 and fired at two artists who tried to save her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand