Manipur journalist killed in police firing
Imphal: A journalist was killed in police firing in Manipur on Sunday during protests against alleged molestation of a movie actress by a militant of the NSCN-IM.
Media reports suggest that the police resorted to firing when the protesters tried to torch a bus.
Routine life was paralysed in Manipur today as the indefinite general strike, called by a film body against the alleged molestation of a movie actress by a militant of the NSCN-IM, entered the second day.
According to reports, markets, shops and business establishments remained closed in the state while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were affected.
Although the 11-hour-long night curfew, imposed in Imphal East and Imphal West districts since the violence spread yesterday, ended at 6 am this morning, the situation in the state was tense, official sources said.
All major roads in the state capital complex and valley districts wore a deserted look as people preferred to remain indoors during the strike.
Prohibitory orders under section 144 banning the gathering of five or more persons was already in force in Imphal East and Imphal West districts, they said.
Appealing to the strikers, particularly Manipur Film Forum (MFF), state Home Minister Gaikhangam said all out efforts were being made to trace and arrest the NSCN-IM militant Livingstone Anal.
Anal had allegedly molested film actress Momoko in public view while she was compering a musical concert at Chandel district on December 18 and fired at two artists who tried to save her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video