Manipur King in protest to save palace land
Imphal: Present titular King of Manipur and other residents of the palace compound here have been on a sit-in protest against Manipur government`s recent decision to acquire land in the palace compound to protect the palace complex, official sources said on Tuesday.
Present king Leishemba Sanajaoba sat in the protest as he presently stay in Manipur palace complex.
Sources said the government had decided to protect the palace complex as it was connected with the history of Manipur and a decision to this effect was taken during a cabinet meeting on Saturday.
Appealing to the residents around the palace complex, official sources said it was good for all the people of Manipur to protect the complex to show to the future generation about the historical past of Manipur.
Official sources said king Sanajaoba`s staying place would be arranged by the state government when the renovation and reconstruction of the palace start by the authorities.
A spokesman who organised sit-in protest against the cabinet decision said many people constructed pucca buildings around the palace complex on the land sold to them by former king Okendra Singh.
Official sources said the cabinet decision was a `right one` to protect the historical past of Manipur and added that people should not object to it as it concerned the while state of Manipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla