Manipur militant chief arrested in Siliguri
Siliguri: In a major catch, the
self-styled commander-in-chief of the banned Kanglei Yawol
Kann Lup (KYKL) Ningthoujam Tomba was arrested by the
West Bengal police and central intelligence agencies from
Darjeeling Superintendent of Police D P Singh said Tomba,
alias Rajen, alias Koireng, was arrested Sunday night from
Khaprel Bazar under Matighara police station in a joint
A satellite phone and documents were seized from the
57-year-old militant leader.
A woman, Saraswati Ray, who was staying with him, was also
arrested, he said. After interrogating them, two other women
from Kurseong were arrested, the SP added.
A Manipur police commando team comprising two inspectors
and a sub-inspector were sent to Siliguri to assist the West
Bengal police, official sources in Imphal said.
Tomba hailed from Nambol Kongkham village in Manipur`s
KYKL is a major insurgent organisation operating in
Manipur for the past few decades and has been waging an armed
struggle for an `independent Manipur`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister