Manipur minister appeals to kidnappers to release officials
Imphal: Manipur Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam on Saturday appealed to militants for the safe release of seven persons, including two senior engineers of Irrigation and Flood Control department, kidnapped last Thursday.
The kidnapping of officials involved in development works would severely affect the progress of development in the state, Gaikhangam, who also holds home portfolio, told reporters.
Seven persons were kidnapped by suspected Kuki militants on Thursday evening while returning to Imphal after inspecting the work progress of construction of a barrage at Dolaithabi area, about 25 Kms north east of here.
Search operations have been intensified to trace them.
The seven persons were superintending engineer Karunacharya Singh, executive engineer N Surchand, two officials of a Kolkata-based construction company Abhijit Sinha and Debajit Sinha, contractor Sanayaima Sharma and two drivers, they said.
The officials had gone to inspect the work progress of the barrage at Dolaithabi without security personnel, adding that they should have gone there with security men.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1