Manipur minister appeals to kidnappers to release officials
Imphal: Manipur Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam today appealed to militants for the safe release of seven persons, including two senior engineers of Irrigation and Flood Control department, kidnapped last Thursday.
The kidnapping of officials involved in development works would severely affect the progress of development in the state, Gaikhangam, who also holds home portfolio, told reporters.
Seven persons were kidnapped by suspected Kuki militants on Thursday evening while returning to Imphal after inspecting the work progress of construction of a barrage at Dolaithabi area, about 25 Kms north east of Imphal.
Search operations have been intensified to trace them.
The seven persons were superintending engineer Karunacharya Singh, executive engineer N Surchand, two officials of a Kolkata-based construction company Abhijit Sinha and Debajit Sinha, contractor Sanayaima Sharma and two drivers, they said.
The officials had gone to inspect the work progress of the barrage at Dolaithabi without security personnel, adding that they should have gone there with security men.
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on