Manipur minister appeals to kidnappers to release officials
Imphal: Manipur Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam today appealed to militants for the safe release of seven persons, including two senior engineers of Irrigation and Flood Control department, kidnapped last Thursday.
The kidnapping of officials involved in development works would severely affect the progress of development in the state, Gaikhangam, who also holds home portfolio, told reporters.
Seven persons were kidnapped by suspected Kuki militants on Thursday evening while returning to Imphal after inspecting the work progress of construction of a barrage at Dolaithabi area, about 25 Kms north east of Imphal.
Search operations have been intensified to trace them.
The seven persons were superintending engineer Karunacharya Singh, executive engineer N Surchand, two officials of a Kolkata-based construction company Abhijit Sinha and Debajit Sinha, contractor Sanayaima Sharma and two drivers, they said.
The officials had gone to inspect the work progress of the barrage at Dolaithabi without security personnel, adding that they should have gone there with security men.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?