Manipur molestation: NSCN-IM leader`s photo releas
Imphal: Three weeks after a leader of the Naga insurgent outfit NSCN-IM allegedly molested a Manipuri actress, the Manipur government Friday made his photo public.
Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam released Livingstone Anal`s photograph to the media and said the government was taking all necessary steps to arrest him.
Anal, a self-styled `lieutenant colonel` of the Isak-Muivah faction of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM), went underground after the Dec 18 incident in Chandel district.
The government has failed to arrest him despite a bounty of Rs 5 lakh.
The molestation has led to a widespread protests in the state and curfew had to be imposed in three districts.
A TV journalist was also killed Dec 23 after police opened fire at protestors in Imphal.
The release of Anal`s photo comes amid stepped up protests demanding action against the culprit.
Sources in the government said NSCN-IM`s peace talks with the central government had apparently complicated the issue.
"We hope the centre will not takes it lightly," the deputy chief minister said.
Sources said the Congress-led Manipur government wanted the central government to pressurise the NSCN-IM leadership to hand over Anal.
They also said that a joint meeting of 14 parties was likely to be held to pressurise the centre to resolve the issue.
They said Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh was likely to lead a 15-member all-party delegation to New Delhi Jan 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation