Manipur observes Patriots` day
Imphal: Patriots` day commemorating the heroic deeds of Manipuri leaders during the Anglo-Manipuri War in 1891 was observed in the state on Monday.
Manipur Governor Gurbachan Jagat and Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh placed flowers at the statues of Thangal General and Bir Tikendrajit at the Palace compound area and Bir Tikendrajit park here.
In their messages, Jagat and Singh appealed the people to work for peace without which no development work could be implemented properly.
They exhorted the people to work tirelessly for the betterment of all the communities with sacrificial spirit.
The British defeated Manipuris in the war on August 13,1891 and Manipur was placed as a native-ruled state under the British empire.
Thangal General and Tikendrajit were hanged at the place which is now the Imphal polo ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city