Manipur panchayat elections begin
Imphal: Panchayat elections in four districts of Manipur began on Thursday amidst strict security with about six lakh voters eligible to exercise their franchise.
A little over 4,000 candidates are in the fray.
Polling began at 1,516 polling stations in Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishenpur and Thoubal districts at 7 AM, official sources said.
An official report from Bishenpur district said prohibitory orders under section 144 CrPC were imposed in the area for smooth conduct of the elections.
The polling will end at 4 pm.
Counting will be taken up on September 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman