Manipur panchayat elections begin
Imphal: Panchayat elections in four districts of Manipur began on Thursday amidst strict security with about six lakh voters eligible to exercise their franchise.
A little over 4,000 candidates are in the fray.
Polling began at 1,516 polling stations in Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishenpur and Thoubal districts at 7 AM, official sources said.
An official report from Bishenpur district said prohibitory orders under section 144 CrPC were imposed in the area for smooth conduct of the elections.
The polling will end at 4 pm.
Counting will be taken up on September 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official