Manipur panchayat elections begin
Imphal: Panchayat elections in four districts of Manipur began on Thursday amidst strict security with about six lakh voters eligible to exercise their franchise.
A little over 4,000 candidates are in the fray.
Polling began at 1,516 polling stations in Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishenpur and Thoubal districts at 7 AM, official sources said.
An official report from Bishenpur district said prohibitory orders under section 144 CrPC were imposed in the area for smooth conduct of the elections.
The polling will end at 4 pm.
Counting will be taken up on September 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested