Manipur parliamentary secretary bill tabled in the house
Imphal: The Manipur Parliamentary Secretary (Appointment, Salary and Allowances and Miscellaneous Provisions Bill, 2012) was today introduced in the assembly by Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh.
The bill after becoming an Act would enable the state government to appoint parliamentary secretaries having the rank of a minister of state, assembly secretariat sources said.
The act would also enable the parliamentary secretaries to be given charge of looking after government departments.
Assembly secretariat sources said the bill would be discussed at an appropriate time fixed by the speaker.
Congress sources said there was discontentment among 42 Congress MLAs as majority of them could not get a ministerial berth in the ruling Congress ministry headed by Ibobi Singh,
As per provisions of the Constitution, Manipur cannot have more than 12 ministers in the 60-member state assembly.
Bharatiya Janata Party was opposed to the bill as it would result in uncessary expenses of the state`s exchequer.
Congress sources said if the bill became an Act, the state government may appoint not less than seven parliamentary secretaries from among the Congress MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Hamid Ansari's Morocco visit will boost strategic partnership with India: Larbi Reffouh
- Chabahar port deal 'not finished'; Pakistan, China welcome: Iran
- Listen to the government, Bajrang Dal is not BJP, says Amit Shah
- Read this to know where Barack Obama will stay after retirement!
- Virat Kohli plays straight without compromising technique: Sachin Tendulkar