Manipur parliamentary secretary bill tabled in the house
Imphal: The Manipur Parliamentary Secretary (Appointment, Salary and Allowances and Miscellaneous Provisions Bill, 2012) was today introduced in the assembly by Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh.
The bill after becoming an Act would enable the state government to appoint parliamentary secretaries having the rank of a minister of state, assembly secretariat sources said.
The act would also enable the parliamentary secretaries to be given charge of looking after government departments.
Assembly secretariat sources said the bill would be discussed at an appropriate time fixed by the speaker.
Congress sources said there was discontentment among 42 Congress MLAs as majority of them could not get a ministerial berth in the ruling Congress ministry headed by Ibobi Singh,
As per provisions of the Constitution, Manipur cannot have more than 12 ministers in the 60-member state assembly.
Bharatiya Janata Party was opposed to the bill as it would result in uncessary expenses of the state`s exchequer.
Congress sources said if the bill became an Act, the state government may appoint not less than seven parliamentary secretaries from among the Congress MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!