Manipur parliamentary secretary bill tabled in the house
Imphal: The Manipur Parliamentary Secretary (Appointment, Salary and Allowances and Miscellaneous Provisions Bill, 2012) was today introduced in the assembly by Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh.
The bill after becoming an Act would enable the state government to appoint parliamentary secretaries having the rank of a minister of state, assembly secretariat sources said.
The act would also enable the parliamentary secretaries to be given charge of looking after government departments.
Assembly secretariat sources said the bill would be discussed at an appropriate time fixed by the speaker.
Congress sources said there was discontentment among 42 Congress MLAs as majority of them could not get a ministerial berth in the ruling Congress ministry headed by Ibobi Singh,
As per provisions of the Constitution, Manipur cannot have more than 12 ministers in the 60-member state assembly.
Bharatiya Janata Party was opposed to the bill as it would result in uncessary expenses of the state`s exchequer.
Congress sources said if the bill became an Act, the state government may appoint not less than seven parliamentary secretaries from among the Congress MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!