Manipur to hand over drug haul case to CBI
Imphal: Manipur government will hand over the Rs 24 crore drug haul case involving a Colonel ranked Army officer and an MLA`s son to the CBI, officials said on Tuesday.
The decision to recommend the case to the CBI was taken last evening during a cabinet meeting, chaired by Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh and convened especially to discuss the issue, the officials said.
A Colonel-ranked defence PRO Ajay Chaudhury, and five others were arrested on February 24 at Pallel area in Chandel district on their way to border town of Moreh for allegedly transporting illicit drugs in three vehicles for smuggling them to neighbouring Myanmar.
Seikholen Haokip, the son of ruling Congress MLA T N Haokip, was arrested on February 26 from the former`s house at Deulaland near here in connection with the case.
The arrest of Haokip followed interrogation of Chaudhury, his assistant R K Babalu, assistant manager of Indigo airlines Ngairangbam Brojendro Singh and three others - Haopu Haokip, Ningthang Doungel and Minlal Haokip.
The seven were now in police custody till March 8. Cases have been filed against them under sections 21 and 29 of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act.
The seized drugs, also called party drugs, included pseudoephedrine tablets- Respifed, Omkop, Hilcold, Polyfed and Actidin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi