Manipur to prevent entry of Naga leader
Imphal: The Manipur Government has stepped up
security measures at all border points to prevent entry of
NSCN (I-M) general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah into the state
on the apprehension that his visit might disturb communal
harmony, official sources said on Sunday.
Muivah could enter Manipur, his home state, through two
possible points -- the Manipur-Nagaland border at Mao gate in
Senapati district and Jessami town on the Nagaland-Ukhrul
route in Ukhrul district, they said.
India Reserve Battalion (IRB), Manipur Rifles and police
commandos were deployed at these areas to prevent the entry of
the National Socialist Council of Nagalim (I-M) leader who
was to visit his home town at Somdal in Ukhrul district from
May 3 to 10.
The 75-year-old Naga leader has not visited his
birthplace since 1960, sources close to him said.
The Manipur cabinet had on April 30 decided to prevent
entry as it might cause communal disharmony endangering the
peaceful coexistence of different ethnic communities.
Muivah, a senior Tangkhul Naga in Nagaland, was to visit
several Naga-inhabited areas in Manipur to hold consultations
with Naga leaders on the ongoing talks between NSCN (I-M) and
Sources said the state government had informed Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
that Manipur would not allow entry of Muivah because the
ceasefire between NSCN (I-M) and Centre was in force only in
Nagaland and not in Manipur.
DGP Y Joy Kumar has informed the Union home ministry that
state police would not be able to provide security to him,
NSCN (I-M) and the Centre entered into a ceasefire
agreement nearly a decade ago and peace talks have been going
on for several years, sources said.
They said the talks had not been making much progress
because of the demand of the NSCN (I-M) that all
Naga-inhabited areas of Manipur, Assam and Arunachal Pradesh
should be merged with Nagaland -- a demand which was rejected
by the neighbouring states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Goa University Examination Results announced
- Herschel beams back exquisite image of newborn stars! - See pic
- Dutch coach Danny Blind flays Man Utd over Van Gaal sacking
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma again spotted together: Reports
- Maharashtra Board HSC Examination Results 2016: (maharesult.nic.in) MSBSHSE Class 12th Result 2016, Maharashtra Board Plus two Result to be declared on May 25 (today)