Manipur to prevent entry of NSCN-IM leader Muivah
Imphal: The Manipur government has decided to
prevent the entry of NSCN-IM general secretary Thuingaleng
Muivah in the state as his visit may lead to communal
disharmony, an official spokesman said on Saturday.
The decision to prevent entry of Muivah in Manipur
was taken during a hurriedly-convened cabinet meeting last
evening presided over by Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh, Sports
Minister and government spokesman N Biren said.
The ceasefire between the Centre and NSCN-IM is in force
only in Nagaland and not in Manipur, Biren said, adding
Muivah`s visit to Manipur may not only lead to communal
disharmony but also disturb peaceful co-existence among
different communities in the state.
Biren said the decision has been conveyed to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Home Minister P Chidamabaram.
Muivah whose insurgent group NSCN-IM has been holding
peace talks with Centre for more than 10 years was to visit
his hometown in Somdal in Manipur`s Ukhrul district from May 3
to 10, official sources said.
They said Muivah was also due to visit Naga-inhabited
areas of Manipur to hold consultative meetings with Naga
leaders on the ongoing talks between NSCN-IM, which has been
demanding integration of Naga-settled areas with neighbouring
Nagaland, and the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!