Manipur to recruit 2000 male police constables
Imphal: Manipur government will soon recruit 2000 male constables to strengthen police forces and help maintain law and order besides protecting various development projects, said an official spokesman on Tuesday.
The decision to recruit the police constables was taken during a cabinet meeting presided over by the Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh last evening, said Manipur education minister M Okendra Singh who is the government spokesman.
Okendra Singh said the total requirement of state police forces including Manipur Rifles etc was about 33,000 but the present strength was about 28,000.
Out of the requirement of 5000, 2000 police constables would be recruited soon as there was acute shortage of police forces particularly in the hill districts, Okendra Singh said adding that forces were also required for protection of various ongoing and completed projects.
Official sources said the present strength of the state police forces of 28,000 included a battalion of India Reserve Battalion which was raised about two years ago adding that large chunk of the forces were used to tackle militants and to guard VIPs in the state.
They said if there was enough forces, development works could not be taken up properly because of various factors including the insurgency problem in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price