Many insurgents willing to return to mainstream: Police
Agartala: Responding to the call by Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar to shun the path of violence, many insurgents are willing to return to the mainstream a senior police officer said on Wednesday.
IGP (Police Control) Nepal Das said a top ranking surrendered insurgent Suran Debbarma told police that a large section of insurgents were disillusioned and are interested in the packages announced by the state government.
"The Chief Minister`s call to shun the path of violence, benefit packages, disillusionment, tough living conditions in the underground and missing family members are the major reasons due to which the ultras want to lead a normal life," Das said.
Many insurgents are likely to bid farewell to arms and come back to normal life. "It would not be unlikely if some more NLFT cadres are also thinking along similar lines of coming overground in the days to come," he said.
Suran Debbarma along with eight ultras of banned National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) surrendered to BSF and deposited one AK-56 rifle with 3 magazines and 75 rounds, one M-20 Pistol with 1 magazine and 6 rounds and a Chinese Hand Grenade on at Karbuk in South Tripura district on Saturday last.
The IGP said, "We are in the process of giving government rehabilitation package to Debbarma and his accomplices."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days