Many insurgents willing to return to mainstream: Police
Agartala: Responding to the call by Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar to shun the path of violence, many insurgents are willing to return to the mainstream a senior police officer said on Wednesday.
IGP (Police Control) Nepal Das said a top ranking surrendered insurgent Suran Debbarma told police that a large section of insurgents were disillusioned and are interested in the packages announced by the state government.
"The Chief Minister`s call to shun the path of violence, benefit packages, disillusionment, tough living conditions in the underground and missing family members are the major reasons due to which the ultras want to lead a normal life," Das said.
Many insurgents are likely to bid farewell to arms and come back to normal life. "It would not be unlikely if some more NLFT cadres are also thinking along similar lines of coming overground in the days to come," he said.
Suran Debbarma along with eight ultras of banned National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) surrendered to BSF and deposited one AK-56 rifle with 3 magazines and 75 rounds, one M-20 Pistol with 1 magazine and 6 rounds and a Chinese Hand Grenade on at Karbuk in South Tripura district on Saturday last.
The IGP said, "We are in the process of giving government rehabilitation package to Debbarma and his accomplices."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015